Monday, October 23, 2006

Eid, Technology and Forgiveness


Hi All There...

It's the first day of Syawal... Selamat Hari Raya or 'Eid Mubarak' to all my muslim friends. I spent my first day of Eid in London today. We've 'takbir' and prayer at 8.30 am at Brunei Hall. I didn't want to think about Hari Raya so much because it'll make me sad especially the moment where I usually asked for forgiveness from my loving parents and family. I didn't want to be so melancholy in this blog so I better not talk about it. Maybe I should talk more about how Hari Raya or Eid has changed with the development of technology.

First, about Hari Raya Card or Eid Greetings. Nowadays, people don't send Hari Raya Card as they do before. I still remember I used to order the printing of my Hari Raya Card months before Eid. After quite some time, I didn't order them anymore. I just print my own Hari Raya card using my PC. I even put poems or my family pictures to put more personal touch on them. Nowadays, E-Card is more popular as it's easier, convenient, accessible and available on-line for free. It's just only a click away. SMS and MMS is also a popular media for sending Hari Raya greeting.. I received lots of sms and mms from families and friends back home. But, no matter what media people use, what matters most is the thoughtfulness & rememberance, right?...

Secondly, about the foods, biscuits or cakes. My grandma used to make all those Ketupat and rendang (a traditional food) and stayed up all night preparing them on the eve of Hari Raya. I know some people still make it a tradition but for some working housewives it's easier to find an instant ketupat and instant rendang where you just bought them at the supermarket, defrost and then cooked them up. It's ready within minutes.. And instead of baking cakes and biscuits, people now prefer to order or buy biscuits and cakes which are available anywhere, even order them on-line. But again, no matter how you prepare the food and dishes, what matters most is how you received and treat the guests at your home, right?...

Thirdly, about visiting relatives. When I was a child, I enjoyed going around the village, going from one house after another. Collecting sweets, chocolate and coins, of course. I don't think children today have the same amusement as before...maybe not in the same way. I don't receive that many children visiting our house during Hari Raya. And when they do visit families or close friends, they'll just sit infront of the tv, either watch the varities of Hari Raya special programmes or play PS2 or other games. Well, maybe, that just happend in my village...I don't know.. But again, no matter how you celebrate it, what matters most is the togetherness and closeness of family and friendship ties that you're creating, right?...

Well, no matter how Hari Raya or Eid may have change, be it in sending cards, baking cakes or visiting practise, what matters most, above all, is the forgiveness that we're seeking for, right? So, during Eid, it's best time to ask for forgiveness from Allah, families, friends or even enemies and importantly, forgave others in return...

I end today's theme with a quotation from Mahatma Ghandi "The Weak Can Never Forgive. Forgiveness Is The Attribute Of The Strong".

1 comment:

acushing said...

Hi Hafida

This is great. The Lord bless you and keep you, make His face to shine upon you and give you peace ... I am so thankful He forgives when we ask, and then forgets. Sometimes I think we have to work that little bit harder at forgetting. Glad He is patient with us!

We are having some prayer days at my church at the moment, it's been great.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying nottingham, it certainly is interesting meeting people from all over the world - and you may find a few people to visit for holidays too!!!!

I need to try and get some reading and work done for the MA.

Take care, see you Monday

Adele